Every Tuesday I teach Souma, an eleven year old. He loves the game. If he does his homework and some decent study in class then we can play the game for up to 30 mins every 2nd week or so. I've tried to keep it simple for him but he's a smart kid and is onto the rules. Not sure if armour class and critical hit etc are going to be much use to him but he uses a lot of English within the game. "I attack the skeleton with magic missile!"
The only thing I'm concerned about are the moral dilemmas he's faced with in the game. After defeating a group of bandits that ambushed his party the last surviving one surrendered. He wasn't sure whether to kill him or not. He even said, in Japanese, that if he doesn't execute him he'll just attack other people. I said maybe he has learnt his lesson. He was still going to kill him so I got the bandit to beg for his life by aiding him on his mission. Souma was very calculating and wanted to know how he could benefit the party and if he'd turn on them. Later when the bandit was swallowed up by a large frog he just left him in it's belly to take horrific acid damage. He revelled in the bandits demise. Then once he had retrieved Lord Gregory's ring he thought about keeping it for himself but rationalised there was more to be gained from further missions from the local lord of Camiram. This is a picture of his party accepting their next mission from Lord Gregory.
Sounds like a lot of fun, but a little disturbing how willing he was to let the bandit suffer. But then again, don't we do the same? I guess as long as he's playing in line with his PC's alignment. ;)
ReplyDeleteA lot of difficult moral dilemmas for an 11 year-old to deal with!