Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Interactive Character Sheets

I was putting in Eric's character information for him yesterday (you lazy bum!!) and started thinking that it would be nice to have these character sheets for use in game and what types of features would make it more useful than using the traditional sheet of paper and the handbook.

I got to his spells list and decided I would make each spell in the list a link to the spells information. I then decided it would be even more useful to give each one a mouse-over tooltip giving the spell's basic information. This way, during a game, he won't have to go looking all over the place trying to find the spell's range or duration. Instead, he only need hover over the spell on his character page and can quickly find the info.

I'm not really all that great with html, and I'm sure there is a better way to do it than the way I am, but so far, at least it's working!
I think I will try to do this for everyone's character sheets, but it's a lot of work. If you plan on changing characters again soon, let me know now.

I've only finished 3 so far, but go into Aleska's page and check out his spells to see what I'm talking about.

-j

3 comments:

  1. Nice one,

    The link is good and the mouse-over tooltip is cool. It'll be very useful during game play. Could eventually use it for other things like feats/rules etc. With the links I suggest using this site:

    http://www.d20srd.org/

    The D&D Wiki can be a bit funky at times. The above is much easier to navigate.
    Also has some cool stuff like this spell filter

    http://www.d20srd.org/extras/d20spellfilter/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good site but doesn't have any supplemental rules, just the handbook info. Could use both pages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking over it again it is a good site and with lots of extras. Linking that only is enough.

    ReplyDelete